sobota 11. října 2014

Writing for the sake of writing

I am sorry to all of my diligent followers for the long pause between my blog posts. I wish I could say this pause has been due to my extremely busy lifestyle, but it’s actually just because of my debilitating laziness.

In this month long pause I have learned another word: kansamnida, which means thank you. I swear I’ve thanked for more things in the last month than I have in my entire life! Korean makes me a much nicer person, as my only two expressions are smiling and thank you, things I rarely do in actual life.

Unrelated selfie from a dog café

I’ve also become quite the master of the Korean national sport, which is Karaoke singing. There is a karaoke bar almost on every street, featuring such classics as Backstreet Boys or Taylor Swift! I have made many people cry so far with my emotional performance of Hero by Enrique Iglesias, which has become my new favorite song. Okay, it was always my favorite song…

Karaoke

More Seoul related observations: Seoul is a city made for couples. So many foods are made for two and so many activities are romantic. The first time I went sightseeing with two guy friends, we went to Seoul tower, which is fully geared toward romance (tickets for two and couple pictures all around) and we ended up looking like a romantic threesome. Last example was when I tried to rent a bicycle:

“2 hours, single bicycle” -me
“2 hours, double bicycle?” –lady at counter
“Nono, 2 hours, SINGLE bicycle” –me
Lady gives me a sad look, her eyes fill with tears, most likely pondering who broke my heart:
“okay, 2 hours, single bicycle”

I also still don’t know what Koreans think of me. Sometimes I think they like me and think I’m like badass cool. I was talking to this guy who I met playing football and he asked me for my number so I can join them for football sometime. After I gave it to him I wanted to leave so I offered my hand for a handshake. He mistook this as a test of how cool he was and tried to do some crazy gang moves with my hand for a minute before giving up.

At other times I think they view me as a hopeless child whose inability to speak the language is a sure sign of mental incapability. This one time I ordered some weird food and had an obvious hard time with it. The two Korean dudes at a table next to me first tried to guide me how to do it, after which I kansamnidad them and kept struggling. So they called the waitress and made her pretty much cut up the meat for me. Most uncomfortable 5 minutes of my life. In fact, if I didn’t look so resolute in eating the food myself, I think she would have fed me as well.



Next up: Conversation with a Korean







Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat